Azden SMX-15 Powered Shotgun Video Professional Camera Microphone 3.5mm AZDSMX-15
The Azden SMX-15 Powered Shotgun Video Microphone was engineered to produce excellent sound quality for video recorded by DSLR and other compact cameras. The microphone element is the same used by Azden’s professional shotgun microphones, the SGM-250 and SGM-250P, and is capable of capturing broadcast quality sound. The acoustically tuned slots of the shotgun barrel give the SMX-15 its super-cardioid polar pattern which allows you to focus on sound in front of the camera, while reducing capture of extraneous noise from the rest of the environment.
The audio controls on DSLR cameras are limited, if they exist at all. And DSLRs are notoriously known to have low-quality microphone preamps that add noise to the video soundtrack when the gain is turned up. That’s why Azden designed the SMX-15 with a +20dB gain booster; so you can get a strong, clean audio signal into your camera, minimizing the need to turn up the noisy preamp. Also included is a -10dB pad to protect against distortion when recording in loud environments such as live concerts and motorsport events.
The SMX-15 has a wide frequency response ranging from 40Hz to 20kHz, so the audio you capture will sound full and natural. Additionally, a low-cut filter switch is included for reducing the level of low frequencies below 120Hz, which is especially useful for mitigating noise caused by air conditioners, wind and traffic.
The SMX-15 is powered by two AA batteries; a lower cost option than the 9V battery that is used in some competitor microphones. The SMX-15 can achieve 24 hours of operation with a single set of batteries with absolutely no degradation of sound quality. The battery indicator LED light lets you know when it’s time to change batteries with up to a 1 hour warning.
Maximize battery life by using the unique “Auto” power setting. When set to Auto, the SMX-15 can detect when a camera is on and will automatically power on and off with the camera (requires a mic input that provides plug-in power). Ever leave your microphone on by accident to discover that the batteries are dead the next time you try to use it? Eliminate that possibility by always leaving the SMX-15 in “Auto” mode.
Integrated Shock Absorbing Shoe Mount
Integrated into the design of the SMX-15 is a custom made, shock absorbing shoe mount to isolate the microphone from the camera motor and handle noise. The mount is designed to fit the standard camera shoe and comes with a ¼”-20 thread at the bottom for mounting to boom poles and other camera accessories.
- Superior directionality and off-axis rejection
- Level adjustment: -10dB, 0dB, +20dB
- +20dB gain booster alleviates noise produced by low-quality camera preamps
- -10dB pad for loud sound environments
- Low-cut filter selectable at 120Hz, 3dB/octave
- Operates on (2) AA batteries with no degradation of audio quality over battery life-span
- Low noise, high sensitivity, wide frequency response
- Custom, detachable foam windscreen
- Integrated shock-absorbing shoe-mount with 1/4”-20 thread
- Battery indicator LED light
- 3.5mm stereo mini-jack output
- Polar Pattern: Supercardioid
- Frequency Response: 40Hz – 20kHz
- Sensitivity: -36dB @ 1kHz
- Dynamic Range: 118dB
- S/N Ratio: 82dB, 1kHz@1Pa
- Max Input Level: 128dB SPL (1kHz@ 1% T.H.D.)
- Max Output Level: +6.2dBu
- Output Impedance: 50Ω
- Power Req: AA batteries x2
- Output Connect: 3.5mm Stereo mini plug
- Power Switch: Off, Battery, Auto
- Gain Control: -10dB, 0dB, +20dB
- LCF: 120Hz, 3dB/octave
- Dimensions: 47mm x 98mm x 145mm
- Weight: 135g (approx.)
What's in the box:
- Azden SMX-15 Powered Shotgun Video Microphone
- Foam Windscreen